Thursday, March 8, 2012

Movie Review #2 A Separation (2011) Jodaelye Nader az Simin (Original Title)

- We all have flaws, and this movie isn't afraid to show them.


I watched this movie knowing only a few things about it. First, it had quickly gained popularity on IMDb and second it was an Iranian movie. I admit, my knowledge of Iran is rather poor, and I hoped that the movie might teach me a thing or two. How little did I underestimate the movie.

A Separation is about the choices made by two small families in Iran based around themes of divorce, the sick and elderly, and death. The director/writer Asghar Farhadi created a movie that shows our basic flaws and how we cling to certain responsibilities while sometimes we forget about the impact we have on others.

Once the title shots have finished the fast paced lives of Nader (played by Peyman Moadi) and Simin (played by Leila Hatami) are going to be thrown at you for the next two hours so be prepared. We are introduced to the characters arguing about getting a divorce in court to a magistrate. I feel as if the strength of the movie is shown in this scene and never really lets up. Nader and Simin are both so wonderfully crafted as real, that they seem organic on screen. None of the main characters are the archetype hero in the picture. They all have flaws that shine so brightly that they themselves don't see them as flaws, something I feel is quite true in nature. The arguments portrayed in the movie (and be warned most of the movie is arguing) flow with such a ferocity that I want to believe director Asghar Farhadi sat down and wrote out arguments couples were having. But then that might be a dishonour to the acting of Peyman Moadi and Leila Hatami who give stunning performances. Another side of the story is that of the explosive character Hodjat (played by Shahab Hosseini). His emotional rage partnered with the emotions of his meek wife create some strong sequences along with Nader and Simin. There is such life between the four that I was shocked and pleased that again the foreign film scene has brought me this much enjoyment.
Tempers flare!
The movie comes down to being a very well-scripted movie full of exuberant life with arguments that are fully believable because of the sheer talent of the actors. I'd never say this is the best movie of the year or something as foolhardy as that, but I will go on record saying that much of the positive feedback the movie has garnered was well-deserved. Do yourself a favour if you enjoy well-written conversations about touchy subjects in a fully believable scenario in a country you thought you knew all about from the news.

With little deliberation, I gave A Separation 8/10.

PS: If you don't watch yourself, you'll find after watching this movie that Iran isn't always barbaric to our sensitivities and perhaps we're all just human after all.

4 comments:

  1. I'd like to see this one. I like a movie that is structured around dialogue! Is it dubbed or subtitled?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm gonna check this one out. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear it Mike White! Truly the goal of these reviews is to make people aware of the hidden gems and be wary of the garbage out in movie land

    ReplyDelete